Registration of Patent on an immune-oncology medicine in Europe
- This invention is on a medicine comprising TLR3 agonist, such as Poly I:C, and a fusion protein of LAG-3 protein and IgG, known as an MHC (Major Histocompatibility Complex) Class II agonist. This patented technology is used in the cancer peptide vaccine (CYT001) under development.
- TLR3 is a sensor that recognizes viral RNA, and Poly-IC (Poly-ICLC), a typical example of TLR3 agonist, binds to TLR3 (and MDA5) on dendritic cells and activates antigen-presenting cells (APC, Antigen-Presenting Cell). LAG-3 (Lymphocyte Activation Gene 3, CD223) is a gene that regulates the immune response of T cells and antigen-presenting cells, and LAG-3Ig binds to MHC Class II on APC and activates APC.
- The cancer peptide vaccine CYT001 under development includes Poly-ICLC (Hiltonol, Oncovir, Inc.) and LAG-3Ig (IMP321 or Eftilagimod Alpha, Immutep Ltd.) as an immunoadjuvant to enhance the effect of antigen peptides. In animal studies, it has been demonstrated that the combination adjuvant of Poly-ICLC and LAG-3Ig significantly enhances the antitumor effects of peptide antigens (Kano, Y., et al., Cancer Sci, April 2016, Vol. 107, No.4, 398-406).
- This invention was developed under a joint research of Yamaguchi University Graduate School of Medicine and NEC Corporation, and is currently 100% owned by Cytlimic.
- TLR3 agonist：A substance that binds to TLR3 (Toll-Like Receptor 3) and activates cells in the same manner as in vivo substances. Poly I:C, a double strand RNA composed of Poly I and Poly C, is known as a typical example of a TLR3 agonist, activates CTL responses as TLR3 and MDA5 agonist, and is used as cancer immunotherapy or as cancer immune adjuvant.
- LAG-3 IgG fusion protein：The fusion protein of LAG-3 (Lymphocyte Activation Gene-3) protein and IgG activates CTL responses through binding to MHC Class II molecules on antigen presenting cells (APCs) such as dendritic cells, and also regulates CTL exhaustion. It can be used as cancer immunotherapy or as cancer immune adjuvant.